Kelly’s Directory was the Victorian-era Yellow Pages . It was started in 1836 by Frederic Festus Kelly. It provided details about business, tradespeople and officials.
BELTON is a parish and village in a valley on the banks of the navigable Waveney, with a station on the East Suffolk section of the Great Eastern railway, 4½ miles south-west of Yarmouth and 8 north-west from Lowestoft, in the Lowestoft division of the county, hundred, petty sessional division and union of Mutford and Lothingland, county court district of Great Yarmouth, rural deanery of Flegg, archdeaconry of and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an ancient edifice of flint with stone dressings ,in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a round western tower, rebuilt in 1849 and containing one bell: on the north wall of the nave are remains of 15th century paintings representing the legend of “ The three Quick and the three Dead.” and figures of St Christopher and St James the Great: the screen of the same period, is a handsomely carved and in good preservation: the reredos of oak, erected in 1887, is enriched with carving by Mr James Elwell, of Beverley Yorkshire. Mr Temple Moore, of London being the architect: the font is of Purbeck marble: the ancient font, still preserved, was found during the restoration in 1849, and is presumed to be of Saxon date: the stained east window was presented in 1806 by members of the Howes family, in memory of the Rev. T. G. F. Howes, rector for 58 years: a fine oil painting of “The Last Supper,” after Titian, the gift of the Rev. W. Schomberg, a former rector, hangs on the west wall: in 1866 the chancel was restored at the cost of the Rector,and the nave in 1881, from the designs of Messrs, Bottle and Olley, architects, Great Yarmouth, when an open timbered roof was erected and the nave reseated with open oak benches, at a total cost, with other work, of about £2000: the communion plate of silver gilt and silver includes a cup inscribed:- “FOR THE TOWN OF BELTON”
There are 263 sittings. The register dates from 1560,and includes entries recording a serious visitation of the plague in the spring of 1665. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £400, with 19 acres of glebe and residence in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich, and held since 1911 by the Rev Alfred Sanderson Lindeman M.A. of St Mary Hall, Oxford. There is a primitive Methodist Chapel, built in 1896 and seating 200. There are 0 acres of waste land which have been awarded to the poor, and the rents thereof are expanded in coals which are distributed during the winter. The Belton Institute and Reading Room, erected by public subscription in 1885 at a cost of £300, is of red brick and will seat 300 people: it is managed committee of 9 members. The trustees of R Henry Reeve esq are lords of the manor The principal landowners are the Right Hon, Lord Somerleyton, P.C. K.C.V.O, D.L, J.P, and the trustees of the Larkman family. The soil is light: subsoil sand. The chief crops are barley, turnips, wheat and hay. The area is 2030 acres, 674 of which, on the river side are marsh land, 27 of water and 9 of tidal water: rateable value £5649: the population in 1911 was 850.
BROWSTON is a hamlet, 1 ¾ miles south-east. Browston Hall is an ancient brick building, with gardens formerly the seat of the Symonds and Le Grice families, now the property of William A. Read esq is occupied by Charles John Collings esq.
STEPSHORT is in the parish: Parish Clerk and Sexton James Francis: Post, M.O. &T & Telephone Call Office – Mrs Frances Morris: sub postmistress: Letters through Great Yarmouth
Wall Letter Boxes – Browston Hall: near Kings Head hotel:
Browston Cross Ways & the Station.
Police Constable, John Hart
Public Elementary School (under six foundation managers) (mixed), built in 1860 & enlarged in 1896 & 1910, for 200 children: there is a residence adjoining for the master: A .S. Matthewman, master Railway Station Frederick Burrage & Ernest Buck, tues, fri. sat.
Private Residents
Bowles Mrs. Manor House Browston
Collings Charles John, Browston Hall. T N Gorleston 32
Connybeare Frederick White Thornas
Crossley Capt. Hon John de Bathe, Lake Cottage
Guyton William, Laurel Villa
Lindeman Rev Alfred Sanderson M.A. (rector) Rectory
Moss Charles Walter, The Firs Rogers Miss, The Cottage
Turnbridge Frederick Wyllys William Edward, The Old Hall
Commercial
Alden Arthur , boot repairer
Amis James, farmer, Browston
Beare Chas, market gardener. Browston
Beare George, thrashing machine owner, Browston
Beare Jas. Market gardener, Browston
Beare Sameuel, market gardener
Beare James, Butcher
Beck William, Butcher
Belton Institute & Reading Room, Edgar Gayton, sec.
Belton Pleasure Gardens, planted with fruit trees & flowers. (George Hall, proprietor)
Berry John, Grocer
Bland Edward, farmer, Elm Grove Farm
Bond William, farmer
Botwright Fredrick Junior, market gardener
Botwright Frederick senior farmer, Beech Farm
Brooks James, wheelwright
Buck Ernest, carrier
Burrage Frederick, assistant overseer & rate collector for Burgh Castle & carrier
Claxton Harold, market gardener
Coleman Samuel, fish merchant
Deeks Henry Robert, shopkeeper
Derry Frank, cycle agent
Derry Thos. Ernest van &cart builder
Farman Samuel, bricklayer
Gray James, boot and shoe repairer
Guyton Edgar, nurseryman
Guyton William, market gardener
Hall George, Kings Head Hotel
Hook William, market gardener
Howes Albert, market gardener
Ives Walter, beer retailer
Kemp Edward, news agent
Knight William Herbert, market gardener
Long Henry, dairy farmer
Parker Henry John, market gardener, Browston
Pearson Robert, market gardener
Reed John Sleeman L.R.C.P .London, M.R.C.S.Eng
Reeve William, insurance agent
Reynolds Charles, market gardened
Searby George Frederick market gardener
Sharman Ernest, fish merchant
Sharman Harry, mkt gardener
Shaw William, mkt gardener
Shore William, farmer
Simpson Mark A, assessor & collector of taxes. asst overseer and farmer
Skipper George, market gardener
Smith George (Mrs) market gardener
Smith Gilbert, coal merchant
Smith Henry, market gardener
Squires William, coal merchant
Ward Wilfred, market gardener
Watson Ernest, butcher
Retyped and Submitted by Bill Richmond